Considering Hiring a Hoa Management Company?
We have been providing Hoa Websites to both management companies and self managed Hoas for many years now. While we don't provide Hoa management services, we do have a good understanding of what to look for if you're considering hiring one. Many of these companies will work hard to get you to sign a contract, but once you do they all but disappear. A poor management company will make it difficult to collect fees, correct community problems and provide ongoing relevant communication. In our experience you don't always get what you pay for.
Things to do and questions to ask
- Interview several (at least four)
- Ask pointed detailed questions
- How are dues collected?
- What's the process for non-payment?
- How often do you visit the community for covenant control?
- What's the process for non-compliance?
- Can you provide a community website?
- What features will it provide? At a minimum you should be able to view covenants and financials and have an easy way to communicate with the board and management company.
- How often is content updated?
- What's included in the monthly price we pay you?
- Some management companies charge fees for any extras such as mailings, bulletins, etc.
- Ask for referals and follow up with them.
- Drive around a few of the communities in your area that they manage.
- Look at overall condition
- Look for compliance issues such as unkept properties
- Question them about your findings.
- No HOA Website.
- Some management companies don't want hoa owners to have access to a website where their actions or non-actions can be easily identified (how often are financial docs posted, etc? What's the status of violations in the community?)
- Stale HOA Website.
- Old outdated material.
- Recent expected docs not posted.
- Recent important communication not posted on the site
- Low owner participation
- Slow or no response from management company
Our experience has shown that in many cases if you have the energy and experience you are better off self managing your home owners association. If interested please contact us and we can set you up.